LUND, TEXAS. Lund, in northeastern Travis County, was settled by Swedes in the late 1880s. It was first known as Pleasant Hill. In 1899 a post office opened there and was named either for a local family or for a Swedish hometown. The community was the center of a large Swedish agricultural settlement that arose as an extension of the New Sweden area, about four miles west. The first settlers in Lund were N. M. Anderson, August Thornquist, and Gustaf Seaholm. In the 1890s other Swedish families moved into the community. A Swedish Lutheran Sunday school was organized in 1891 by Dr. J. A. Stamline, pastor of the New Sweden Lutheran Church. The Bethlehem congregation in Lund was established on January 16, 1897, with nineteen communicants and twenty children. The congregation was given 1½ acres of land by P. V. Nelson, Nels Ankarstolpe, and J. E. Rivers, and an additional acre was given for a community graveyard. The church was built in the fall of 1899. The Bethlehem Lutheran Church was still active in 1989.
In the 1890s Lund had two cotton gins, a blacksmith shop, and a general store. The first Lund school was built in the fall of 1894, and the first school term lasted three months. The schoolhouse measured twenty-five feet by twenty-five feet and had windows on two sides. Two brothers, Carl and Fred Bergman, wrote letters to their sisters in Sweden from their home at Lund. In a letter dated January 23, 1896, they stated, "West of us there live nothing but Swedes for a distance of about sixteen miles. East and south and north of us there lives a mixed population of Americans, Germans, Bohemians, Negroes, and Mexicans, so it is certainly a strange mixture." The rich farmland produced large crops, and the new immigrants at Lund began to think of themselves less as Swedes and more as Americans. Twenty-seven men from Lund served in World War I, and many more served in World War II. Because of a decrease in the rural population, the school at Lund closed in 1947 and subsequently merged with the schools of Carlson, New Sweden, and Kimbro into the Manda school district. In 1963 the district was merged with Elgin. On April 7, 1980, a tornado severely damaged Lund. The Bethlehem Lutheran Church of Lund was lifted from its foundation and had to be demolished. A large brick structure with a bell tower was built to replace the historic church.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, James M. Christianson, "Lund, TX," accessed July 27, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvlal.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.