LUMM, TEXAS. Lumm was on the Trinity Valley and Northern Railway eighteen miles north of Dayton in west central Liberty County. Its history is linked closely with that of the railroad, which reached the densely forested area in 1911. The Dayton Lumber Company, with extensive timber interests in western Liberty County and a mill at Dayton, had incorporated the line, which it originally sought to complete north to Cleveland. When this plan was deemed unnecessary, Lumm became the line's northern terminus. In 1929 the northernmost twelve miles of the Trinity Valley and Northern were abandoned. Thus deprived of its major outlet, Lumm met a similar fate. It did not appear on a 1943 Army Corps of Engineers survey map of the area and is not found on more recent USGS or Texas Highway Department maps of Liberty County.
S. G. Reed, A History of the Texas Railroads (Houston: St. Clair, 1941; rpt., New York: Arno, 1981). Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads (Austin: University of Texas Bureau of Business Research, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "LUMM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvl85), accessed July 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.