LAWRENCE CHAPEL, TX
LAWRENCE CHAPEL, TEXAS. Lawrence Chapel is off Farm Road 112 eleven miles southeast of Taylor in southeastern Williamson County. It was named for Adam Lawrence, a pioneer rancher and farmer and a veteran of the Texas revolution and of service against the Indians. Lawrence founded the community in 1838 and built a log house as a combination church and school. The community was known as Cross Roads in its early years, and a Cross Roads post office operated out of a store on the site from 1858 to 1867. Several gins were located near the community in the late nineteenth century, and the Lawrence Chapel school had thirty-eight pupils in 1903. In 1988 it had a church, a cemetery, and a few houses.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "LAWRENCE CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvl39), accessed May 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.