LA SALLE, TX (CALHOUN COUNTY)
LA SALLE, TEXAS (Calhoun County). La Salle, a coastal community six miles south of Indianola, was established in the 1840s. It was probably named for the French explorer René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle. Dr. Levi Jones was a land agent for lots in La Salle. On February 11, 1850, he secured a charter for a railway linking Matagorda Bay, La Salle, and El Paso, but construction was never begun. Plans for establishing a port in La Salle likewise never came to fruition. During the Civil War federal troops came ashore at La Salle, and its residents fled to Indianola. The town was never reestablished.
Calhoun County Historical Commission, Shifting Sands of Calhoun County, Texas (Port Lavaca, Texas, ca. 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LA SALLE, TX (CALHOUN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvl04), accessed May 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.