KNOXVILLE, TEXAS. Knoxville, an early town on the John Engledow survey between State Highway 110 and Farm Road 856 seven miles north of New Summerfield in northeastern Cherokee County, was first settled by immigrants from Tennessee in the late 1840s. In 1854 William A. Pope opened a general store there, and a post office was established. By the time of the Civil War Knoxville had four general stores, a gristmill, a sawmill, a distillery, a tanyard, and a church used by Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian congregations. The community continued to prosper until the early 1870s, when it was bypassed by the International-Great Northern Railroad. Most of the merchants and residents moved to newly established Troup, on the railroad. The post office closed in 1875, and within a few years Knoxville was a ghost town. In the early 1990s only a cemetery marked the site.
Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "KNOXVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvk54), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.