KITTRELL, TEXAS. Kittrell was twenty miles north of Huntsville in Walker County. It was named for Pleasant W. Kittrell, a pioneer physician who arrived in 1850 and settled north of the Trinity River in the region designated Kittrell's Cut-Off because it was separated from the remainder of the county by the Trinity River. Kittrell died in the yellow fever epidemic of 1867. The community that bore his name had a post office from 1898 to 1920; J. H. Dunlap was postmaster in 1914. In 1911 a six-grade school operated at Kittrell. In 1914 the Texas Gazetteer reported a general store and cotton gin there. In 1933 the population was fifty. In 1945 the community had twenty-five residents and one business. In 1991 county highway maps listed a general region designated as Kittrell (Trinity) oilfield.
D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976). Frank X. Tolbert, "Tolbert's Texas" Scrapbook, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.James L. Hailey, "KITTRELL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvk30), accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.