KELLYVILLE, TEXAS. Kellyville, four miles west of Jefferson in Marion County, was the site of one of the state's first heavy industry experiments, the Kelly Foundry, Furnace, and Plow Company. Kellyville was originally called Four-Mile Branch and was a popular campsite for wagoners in transit between Jefferson and other communities throughout northeast and north central Texas. In 1848 Zachariah Lockett and John A. Stewart established a small foundry and furnace at Four-Mile Branch, at which they manufactured plows, repaired wagons, and made spare parts for other agricultural equipment. George Addison Kelly joined the firm in 1852 as foreman of the company's operation. Kelly became a partner in the firm in 1858 and established himself as sole owner by 1860.
Four-Mile Branch became known in local parlance as Kellyville during this two-year period, though official records listed its name as Kellysville. Although its growth was interrupted by the Civil War, the company produced ammunition and farming implements for the Confederacy, and a considerable community of employees grew up near the ironworks.
After the war Kelly added to his plant by purchasing Nash's Iron Foundry in western Marion County, and in 1874 he rebuilt his blast furnace at Kellyville, increasing his smelting capacity. In 1883 the name was officially changed to Kellyville. The Kelly Plow Company was the community's focus; it provided a prosperous economy that produced two churches, a school, a hotel, and a post office, which was established in 1883. By 1880 the Kelly Iron Works was listed as the state's outstanding producer of agricultural implements, the Kelly Blue Plow being its most popular finished product. However, due to the loss of cheap water transport following removal of the Red River Raft, a fire that destroyed his furnace, and a joint-stock arrangement with the state Grange not suitable to him, Kelly closed his foundry and moved his plow production operation to Longview in 1882. Kellyville rapidly declined.
After the removal of George Kelly's manufacturing enterprise Kellyville began to resemble other Marion County farm communities, which depended primarily on truck farming, beef cattle, and small dairy operations. The post office was discontinued in 1908, and Kellyville's population declined from about 1,000 in 1860 to twenty by 1933. In 1936 the Texas Centennial Committee erected a historical marker commemorating the Kelly Iron Works. Today Kellyville stands as a small rural community whose economy is tied to the burgeoning tourist trade of Jefferson's historical district and Caddo Lake State Park.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Mark Howard Atkins, "Kellyville, TX," accessed April 30, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvk12.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles