HYNSON SPRINGS, TX
HYNSON SPRINGS, TEXAS. Hynson Springs was a spa community six miles west of Marshall in western Harrison County. The site was known as Marshall Springs or Iron Springs in the 1850s and was promoted as a health spa by Dr. W. H. Dial of Marshall. One Colonel Hynson purchased the property from Dial and by 1860 had built a home on a hill just above the springs. During the Civil War Hynson and an associate, George Gregg, opened a leather-tanning operation on the site and, according to one source, may have had as many as 300 employees in the tannery. The Interstate Investment Company of Shreveport, Louisiana, purchased the property in 1890, and a large hotel, called Hotel Randell, was built there. The mineral springs and the resort were popular for a number of years, but the hotel was closed in 1905 and burned some years later. By the 1930s only ruins remained at the site.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981). V. H. Hackney, Historical Hallmarks of Harrison County (Marshall, Texas: Marshall National Bank, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "HYNSON SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvhca), accessed October 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.