HOOKERVILLE, TEXAS. Hookerville was on the banks of Hooker Creek on the edge of the Blackland Prairie six miles west of Caldwell in western Burleson County. Settlement in the county north of the Old San Antonio Road began in the late 1830s. During the 1850s the family of John W. Porter established an extensive plantation on a tributary of Hooker Creek; it became the nucleus of a community called Porter's Chapel. A sawmill operated on Hooker Creek during the early phases of settlement. After the Civil War the Porter's Chapel community became known as Hookerville-named, as was the nearby creek, for an early settler. A post office operated there from 1878 until 1912, after which mail was routed through Chriesman. In 1885 Hookerville reported a population of 130 and a school, a church, a gristmill, and a cotton gin. The town was bypassed by State Highway 21 and the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. In the late 1980s the Porters Chapel and cemetery and the Liberty Church were still in the area.
Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "HOOKERVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh89), accessed May 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.