HOLLAND SPRINGS, TX
HOLLAND SPRINGS, TEXAS. Holland Springs, on Hamilton Creek three miles south of Burnet, is the site of the first permanent settlement in Burnet County. Holland Springs was the original location of a ranger camp that became Fort Croghan around 1849. In July 1848 Samuel E. Holland, a Georgia native, bought land in the John P. Rozier survey and eventually developed the valley into a prosperous pioneer community. During the 1870s a school was built for area children; it was consolidated with the Hairston school in 1906. A cemetery marked the Holland Springs site on the 1989 county highway map.
Darrell Debo, Burnet County History (2 vols., Burnet, Texas: Eakin, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alta Holland Gibbs, "HOLLAND SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh83), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.