HOBBY, TEXAS. Hobby was two miles north of the International-Great Northern Railroad between Fresno and Stafford in eastern Fort Bend County. It was named for William Pettus Hobby, twenty-sixth governor of Texas, whose maternal grandfather, Dr. John Pettus, had settled in Fort Bend County in 1858. In 1921 the Hobby community opened a post office, which closed in 1943. In 1945 the community reported a population of thirty and one business. After the mid-1940s no population figures were available for Hobby. It was not shown on the 1987 county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "HOBBY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh75), accessed November 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles