HIGH BRIDGE, TX
HIGH BRIDGE, TEXAS. High Bridge, also known as Pecos High Bridge, was on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and the east bank of the Pecos River six miles above its mouth on the Rio Grande in southwestern Val Verde County. As long as 6,000 years ago the area was inhabited by prehistoric people, who left their art and discarded belongings on the walls and floors of nearby caves and rockshelters. When the original Pecos Loop railroad tracks were straightened and rebuilt, the High Bridge community was established in 1892 as a railroad siding with section houses at the newly completed Pecos High Bridgeqv over the Pecos River. High Bridge's population included six permanent residents and a small number of railroad workers who were stationed there periodically. The railroad abandoned High Bridge as a station in March 1958, and without the railroad the small community vanished.
Virginia Madison and Hallie Stillwell, How Come It's Called That? Place Names in the Big Bend Country (Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 1958). Terrell County Heritage Commission, Terrell County, Texas (San Angelo: Anchor, 1978).