HERRING, TEXAS. Herring, in northeastern Oldham County, was established around 1908 by Cornelius Taylor Herring and his son and partner, William E. Herring. They purchased 98,000 acres of former L S Ranchqv land along the Canadian River and built their headquarters a mile from old Tascosa. After Will Herring's death in 1944, the ranch was passed on to his daughter Margaret, who married Arthur H. Ware of Amarillo. In 1987 heirs of the Ware family were operating the ranch.
Amarillo Genealogical Society, Texas Panhandle Forefathers, comp. Barbara C. Spray (Dallas: National ShareGraphics, 1983). Oldham County Historical Commission, Oldham County (Dallas: Taylor, 1981). Thomas Thompson, The Ware Boys: The Story of a Texas Family Bank (Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "HERRING, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh54), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.