HEBRON, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)
HEBRON, TEXAS (DeWitt County). Hebron was near Farm Road 682 and Bear Creek some fourteen miles southeast of Yoakum in southeastern DeWitt County. The community center consisted of the Hebron Baptist Church, the first Baptist church in the county, established under pastor Wade Holland in 1855, and the Hebron school, which operated from 1856 to about 1888, when it merged with the Bear Creek school. Thereafter the communities of Hebron and Bear Creek were closely associated. The earliest grave in the Hebron Cemetery dates from 1867. The community's church was still active in 1961 and had records available dating from its founding, but by 1984 only the cemetery appeared on the county highway map. As late as 2004 former residents still gathered at the Hebron Cemetery from all over the state on the first Sunday in May for an annual reunion.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Craig H. Roell, "HEBRON, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh43), accessed September 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.