HEAVEN, TEXAS. Heaven was near Farm Road 769 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad about six miles south of the site of Morton in central Cochran County. The settlement, which evolved sometime before Cochran County was organized in 1924, developed around a Santa Fe branch line running from Lubbock to Bledsoe. Heaven and the rival town of Morton engaged in a bitter struggle to become county seat in 1925, but Morton won a disputed election. Although Heaven contested the results, the outcome was finally decided in favor of Morton. The Heaven community was soon abandoned despite its location on the railroad.
Roysten E. Willis, Ghost Towns of the South Plains (M.A. thesis, Texas Technological College, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "HEAVEN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh42), accessed April 20, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.