HAYHURST, TEXAS. Hayhurst was a farming community near what is now Van Alstyne in south central Grayson County. The settlement formed in the mid-1840s, when a number of families chose the site because of its promise as a productive farming area. Among this group was the town's namesake, Joseph Warner Hayhurst. As Van Alstyne developed, the community of Hayhurst declined. It was not named on the 1947 county highway map.