HAULK, TEXAS. Haulk, about two miles from the site of what is now Odell in extreme northwestern Wilbarger County, received a post office in 1902, with Starling C. Kelly as postmaster. This post office was discontinued and moved to Chillicothe in 1907. During the early 1900s the community had a school (established in 1908), a store, and a cotton gin. When the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway bypassed Haulk in 1908, most of the town moved to the new community of Odell, on the railroad. Haulk remained a school district until 1919, when it was enlarged and renamed Haulk Hill. In 1935 the old district was absorbed by the Northside School. Haulk was not shown on the 1984 county highway map.
Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "HAULK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh31), accessed November 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles