HACIENDA, TEXAS. Hacienda, on the Southern Pacific line a quarter mile east of the Nueces River and eight miles northwest of Uvalde in southwestern Uvalde County, was probably named for the ranch home of J. T. Hall. In 1896 the one-teacher Hacienda school had forty-two students. The community received a post office in 1907, which Hall operated in his general store; Hall's store was still in business in 1914. The 1936 county highway map showed a few scattered dwellings at the townsite. During the 1940s Hacienda reported two businesses and forty inhabitants, but by the mid-1960s it was reduced to two dwellings, a population of around five, and no businesses. The community was not shown on the 1988 county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "HACIENDA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh01), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.