GANNON, TEXAS. Gannon is on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway on a country road one mile west of Farm Road 419 and fifteen miles southwest of Roby in southwestern Fisher County. Grover school was operating 1½ miles east of the site by 1891. In 1912 the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway built through the area, and Gannon, named for C. L. Gannon, a school board trustee, became a station on the line. The school was renamed Gannon and relocated closer to the railway line. In 1940 the community had the school and a number of scattered dwellings. Gannon school was consolidated with Sweetwater schools in 1945, and by the 1980s all that remained in the community were a number of homes and the station.
Fisher County Historical Commission, History of Fisher County, Texas (Rotan, Texas: Shelton, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stacy Catalina, "GANNON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvgst), accessed May 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.