GRISWOLD, TEXAS. Griswold (Griswald) was four miles east of Corrigan in north central Polk County about 100 miles north of Houston. The settlement, which was probably established near the newly built Trinity and Sabine Railway, was developed during the early 1880s by J. M. Griswold, who opened a sawmill and rock quarry at the site. The short-lived community was soon outpaced by larger mills at Benford and Pluck, and it faded out of existence as an independent entity.
Hamilton Pratt Easton, History of the Texas Lumbering Industry (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1947). A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "GRISWOLD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HVG53), accessed March 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.