GINDALE, TEXAS. Gindale, near Farm Road 437 some sixteen miles east of Belton in southeastern Bell County, had a post office from 1893 to 1905. In 1896 Gindale had sixty residents and a Methodist church, a district school, a flour mill and gin, and a general store. The Gindale school, with 136 pupils and two teachers, was the fourth largest rural school in the county in 1903. By 1933 the community's population had reached a peak of ninety-seven, but it declined to some thirty residents by 1946. Although the Texas Almanac estimated Gindale's population at ten in 1964, the community was not shown on a topographical map of the area dated the same year. It is likely that in the 1960s the focus of community life shifted to nearby Leedale.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "GINDALE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvg21), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles