GERTRUDE, TEXAS. Gertrude (Gertrudes) was in Lost Valley in far western Jack County. During the early 1870s M. G. Stewart established the settlement near the northern boundary of the James C. Loving ranch. Gertrude served as a community center for Jack County ranchers until 1909. The town's population never exceeded 100, and its post office, which opened before 1883, closed in 1910. When the tracks of the Gulf, Texas and Western Railroad bypassed Gertrude during the construction of the rail line connecting Jacksboro to Seymour, its remaining residents moved to Jermyn to be near the railroad.
Thomas F. Horton, History of Jack County (Jacksboro, Texas: Gazette Print, 193-?). Ida Lasater Huckabay, Ninety-Four Years in Jack County (Austin: Steck, 1949; centennial ed., Waco: Texian Press, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "GERTRUDE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvg16), accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.