GANDER SLU, TX
GANDER SLU, TEXAS. Gander Slu, near Sullivan in eastern Guadalupe County, was from 1859 to 1866 the site of a post office called Barrowsdale, after Dr. Leonard Barrow. Oil was discovered in the area in 1922. The landowner, a Mr. Allen, suggested the name Allensville for the community that grew up around the oilfield, but one of the workers suggested "Gander Slough," a play on the name of the Goose Creek oilfield. The worker put up a sign with the spelling "Slu." The population was twenty-five in 1945, when the settlement included a few houses, a cemetery, and oil pumps. Gander Slu was not shown on county highway maps in 1987.
Willie Mae Weinert, An Authentic History of Guadalupe County (Seguin, Texas: Seguin Enterprise, 1951; rpt. 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Willie Mae Weinert, "GANDER SLU, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvg05), accessed July 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.