FREEPORT, TX (HALE COUNTY)
FREEPORT, TEXAS (Hale County). Freeport, about two miles north of the site of what is now Plainview in northeastern Hale County, consisted mainly of a post office, established on July 10, 1909, with Clarence C. Smith as postmaster. The office, intended to serve the nearby Central Plains College and Conservatory of Music, was discontinued and moved to Plainview on May 14, 1910, around the time the school was renamed Seth Ward College. By the early 1980s Freeport was no longer shown on county highway maps, although there was a Seth Ward subdivision of Plainview, located northwest of Farm Road 400.
Mary L. Cox, History of Hale County, Texas (Plainview, Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "FREEPORT, TX (HALE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvf46), accessed September 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.