FRANKLIN, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)
FRANKLIN, TEXAS (Lamar County). Franklin was on the Red River 1½ miles west of Arthur City in northern Lamar County. The area was originally settled by Samuel Moore Fulton as a trading post-first called the U. S. Factory-and steamboat landing. In 1842 a post office called Franklin opened there, with Fulton as postmaster. The settlement declined when the importance of river transportation lessened and the area became more settled. In 1886 the St. Louis and San Francisco bypassed Franklin, and most business was transferred to the new railroad town, nearby Arthur City. Franklin was no longer shown on maps by 1936.
A. W. Neville, The History of Lamar County, Texas (Paris, Texas: North Texas, 1937; rpt. 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "FRANKLIN, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvf42), accessed July 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.