FORWARD, TEXAS. Forward, a farming community in western Lamar County, was established by 1904, when a post office and a general store opened there. The store remained the community's only business, and the post office closed in 1909. Forward reported a population of forty in 1933, when some residents were leaving in search of jobs. By 1936, though the population had reportedly stabilized at twenty-five, Forward was no longer labeled on maps. The settlement reported twenty-five citizens and one business in 1948, the last year for which statistics were available.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "FORWARD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvf35), accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.