FLANAGAN, TEXAS. Flanagan, four miles northwest of Tatum and twenty-one miles northeast of Henderson in northeastern Rusk County, was named for David Webster Flanagan, Confederate soldier and Republican politician. The community was established in 1882 as a station on the Longview and Sabine Valley Railway. John Kroeger was postmaster when a post office opened there in 1900. That year the population was recorded as fifty, and the community was known as a shipping point for lumber. Although population estimates for the community reached 200 by 1914, its post office was discontinued in 1916. As of 1950 the town had a predominantly black population. The community was not labeled on the 1982 county highway map.
Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "FLANAGAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvf25), accessed August 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.