ENGLISH, TX (BRAZORIA COUNTY)
ENGLISH, TEXAS (Brazoria County). English, a farming community north of the Ramsey prison farm and twelve miles northwest of Angleton in northwestern Brazoria County, may have been named for the family of area resident "Buck" English. The town began as a station on the Sugar Land Railway 1½ miles north of what is now Farm Road 1462 on Oyster Creek. English had a cotton gin and a general store by 1917. A post office operated there from 1921 until 1924, when mail was transferred to Sandy Point. In 1980 area maps showed several abandoned buildings and scattered dwellings at the townsite.
James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "ENGLISH, TX (BRAZORIA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hveen), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on March 26, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.