ELM GROVE, TX (HAYES COUNTY) (HAYS COUNTY)
ELM GROVE, TEXAS (Hays County). Elm Grove, four miles west of Buda and sixteen miles northeast of San Marcos in northern Hays County, had a one-room school in 1871 on four acres donated by David William Crews. The Elm Grove school district was formed on October 21, 1876. Elm Grove was reportedly the largest public school community in the county in the late 1870s, when the school had some sixty-three students. In 1945 the Elm Grove school was consolidated with that of Buda. The Elm Grove school building was burned by vandals in the 1960s.
Mary Starr Barkley, A History of Central Texas (Austin: Austin Printing, 1970). Dudley Richard Dobie, A Brief History of Hays County and San Marcos, Texas (San Marcos, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Henry C. Armbruster, "ELM GROVE, TX (HAYES COUNTY) (HAYS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hve23), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles