ELIGA, TEXAS. Eliga formed in 1900 around a popular swimming hole located at the junction of House Creek and Cowhouse Creek, fourteen miles south of Gatesville in southern Coryell County. It was first called Elijah and became known as Eliga in 1903 when a post office was granted with Leonard M. Layne as postmaster. The nearest school was five miles west of town, but at one time Eliga had two cotton gins, two general stores, two church buildings for three congregations, and a blacksmith shop. After 1912 the community's mail was rerouted through Killeen, and in the early 1940s Eliga's population was twenty-five. Eliga was enveloped by the expansion of the Fort Hood military reservation in 1942.
Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.