DORSEY, TEXAS. Dorsey was near the junction of Dorsey and Ripley creeks, about nine miles northwest of Mount Pleasant in northwestern Titus County. The Dorsey post office was operated by Henry S. Summerlin at his mill and gin from 1891 to 1893. An abandoned public cemetery nearby containing between fifty and 100 graves suggests that there was an organized community at Dorsey at least for a brief period, but nothing further is known about the settlement.
Wright Patman, History of Post Offices-First Congressional District of Texas (Texarkana, Texas, 1946?). Traylor Russell, History of Titus County (2 vols., Waco: Morrison, 1965, 1966; rpt., n.p.: Walsworth, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "DORSEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd56), accessed May 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.