DUNCAN, TEXAS. Duncan, near Alligator Creek twelve miles northwest of Rockdale in western Milam County, was named for the Duncan family, who settled in the area in 1879. A school was built there in 1892 on land donated by George and Elizabeth Duncan. The school had two teachers and forty-six students in 1903. High school students from Duncan were sent to Sharp in the late 1920s, and the rest of the schools were consolidated with the Sharp district in the early 1930s. There was no evidence of the Duncan community on the 1941 county highway map.
Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "DUNCAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd44), accessed May 22, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.