DOUBLE KNOBBS, TX
DOUBLE KNOBBS, TEXAS. Double Knobbs is on State Highway 29 some eight miles northwest of Mason in western Mason County. It was named for two nearby hills which lie on either side of the highway. The area was settled around 1890, when the Dodd and the Clark families arrived. The community's early development was focused around the establishment of a local school. Most of the area residents were farmers and ranchers. In the 1900s the local agricultural focus changed from cotton to peanut farming. The community's school was eventually closed. In the mid-1980s Double Knobbs was a dispersed farming community.
Kathryn Burford Eilers, A History of Mason County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alice J. Rhoades, "DOUBLE KNOBBS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd34), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.