DONOVAN, TEXAS. Donovan was a logging camp and railway station east of Huntington in east central Angelina County. It was established by the Long Bell Lumber Company and was named for a lumberman. The town was active before 1915 and again around 1930. In 1900 the Texas and Louisiana Railroad completed 14½ miles of track to Donovan from Lufkin and in 1902 another 7½ miles from Donovan east to Monterey. In 1904 this railroad became part of the St. Louis Southwestern Railway of Texas. Donovan acquired a post office in 1927; the postmaster was Oma Wall. Postal service moved to Huntington in the early 1930s.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.