DEWEES, TX (WALLER COUNTY)
DEWEES, TEXAS (Waller County). Dewees (Dewess, Dewesse, De Weese) was a mile west of State Highway 6, a mile east of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad (later part of the Southern Pacific), and four miles north of Hempstead in northern Waller County. It was possibly named for Alfred Gorrell Dewees, who settled in Waller County around 1900. A cemetery, a church, and a few houses were in the area in 1941. In 1979 Dewees remained only as a triangulation station on the Southern Pacific.
Waller County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Waller County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paul M. Lucko, "DEWEES, TX (WALLER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd21), accessed October 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on August 20, 2012. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.