DANIEL, TEXAS. Daniel, a community east of Crockett in central Houston County, was apparently never more than a small collection of buildings. In 1880 Samuel M. Thompson established the Daniel School, which later merged with the Bellview School. A post office was established there in August 1887 and was discontinued in September 1906. Farming and ranching interests provided the livelihood for most residents. In 1936 and 1940 the community had fifty residents and two businesses. The Daniel community reported the same in 1948, the last year that statistics were available for it.
Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Eliza H. Bishop, "DANIEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd04), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles