CLIPPER, TEXAS. Clipper was three miles southwest of the site of present Jayton in east central Kent County. It had a gin, two stores, a drugstore, and a school in the 1890s. A post office was established in 1899 with John M. Kelly as postmaster. The first fraternal organization established in the county, a chapter of the Woodmen of the World, was founded in Clipper about 1896. The community flourished until Jayton was established on the Stamford and Northwestern Railway in 1907. The Clipper mail was rerouted through Jayton in February of that year, and Clipper was soon abandoned.
Jewell G. Pritchett and Erma B. Black, Kent County and Its People (Rotan, Texas: Rotan Advance, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "CLIPPER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvcak), accessed May 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.