CEDAR CREEK, TX (WASHINGTON COUNTY)
CEDAR CREEK, TEXAS (Washington County). Cedar Creek, one of the earliest settlements in Washington County not on the Brazos River, was a mile north of the site of later Chappell Hill, on or near Cedar Creek. The community prospered with abundant lumber supplies from the vicinity's cedar trees. Under the Republic of Texas, a post office was established on March 23, 1837; James Hall was postmaster until 1840. Cedar Creek was the site of a large Methodist camp meeting on October 19, 1843, and the eighth Texas Conference of the Methodist Church was held there from December 29, 1847, until January 3, 1848. The community became a Methodist center during the 1840s. In November 1847 a Methodist church was built. A United States post office operated from 1846 until 1848, when Chappell Hill was founded nearby. Cedar Creek Academy transferred to the new settlement. With the growth of Chappell Hill, Cedar Creek declined and soon disappeared as a separate community.
Homer S. Thrall, History of Methodism in Texas (Houston: Cushing, 1872; rpt., n.p.: Walsworth, 1976). Mr. and Mrs. Nate Winfield, All Our Yesterdays: A Brief History of Chappell Hill (Waco: Texian Press, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "CEDAR CREEK, TX (WASHINGTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvcaj), accessed June 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.