CLARKWOOD, TEXAS. Clarkwood was on the Texas-Mexican Railway on a site that is now Woodland Park in Corpus Christi in eastern Nueces County. It was established in 1909 and was named for Z. H. Clark, a developer of the townsite. The post office was established in June of 1909 with John S. Byerley as postmaster. The town was part of the 1930s oil boom. The population of Clarkwood rose steadily from forty in 1925 to 350 in 1965. The number of businesses rose from five in 1936 to fourteen in 1965. Clarkwood was annexed to Corpus Christi by 1966. In 1972 the area was part of the Tuloso-Midway Independent School District.
Nueces County Historical Society, History of Nueces County (Austin: Jenkins, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robin Dush, "CLARKWOOD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc55), accessed June 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.