CARANCAHUA, TEXAS. Carancahua, in southeastern Jackson County, was originally an informal cluster of log cabins and was apparently named for its position near the banks of Carancahua Bay. By 1880 Carancahua was the site of a mail stop called Freeport, on the route from Texana to Matagorda. There was a post office at Carancahua from 1897 to 1926. In 1908 local boosters offered town lots for sale, but the town's location-conducive to malaria and floods-discouraged prospective investors. In 1915 the community reported a population of fifty. By the 1920s the population hovered around twenty-five, and by 1931 Carancahua no longer reported a population. In the 1960s a community building was at the site. Carancahua was still listed as a community in 1990.
Ira T. Taylor, The Cavalcade of Jackson County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "CARANCAHUA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc24), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles