CANARY, TEXAS. Canary was eighty-five miles north of Houston in west central Polk County. The town, one of a cluster of small communities formed originally by settlers from Louisiana, was part of what nineteenth-century Polk County residents referred to as the Louisiana Settlement. In 1900 the community's residents secured a post office, which they named Canary and housed at Milliard Hilton's store. Allie Faircloth served as postmistress for the rural office. The Canary post office was discontinued in 1914. The community was not shown on the 1984 county highway map.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "CANARY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc19), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.