CALLAHAN, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)
CALLAHAN, TEXAS (DeWitt County). Callahan, an early school community five miles east of Yorktown in western DeWitt County, was organized as a school district in 1880. The area was predominantly settled by German immigrants. The school, important in the county's development because of its relatively early establishment as a focus of the surrounding rural area, operated until 1945, when its students were transferred to the Ratcliff School and to Yorktown.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "CALLAHAN, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc11), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.