BEREA, TX (BELL COUNTY)
BEREA, TEXAS (Bell County). Berea was a post office and school community on Farm Road 2483 five miles north of Belton in central Bell County. The settlement, named for a biblical Middle Eastern city, began in 1868 when pioneers from Georgia purchased land and built log cabins in the fertile area on Pepper's Creek. A one-room house provided a place for the community gatherings, school, and worship. Rev. Roder Bauchman was the first teacher and preacher. The post office opened in 1895, was consolidated with Belton for a time in 1897, and was consolidated permanently with Belton in 1902. The Berea school had sixty-four pupils and one teacher in 1903. In 1948 the community consisted of a school, a church, and scattered dwellings, but Berea had disappeared from the state highway map by 1988.
Bell County Historical Commission, Story of Bell County, Texas (2 vols., Austin: Eakin Press, 1988).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "BEREA, TX (BELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvbcf), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.