BIG CYPRESS, TX
BIG CYPRESS, TEXAS. Big Cypress was on the Texas and St. Louis Railway near the banks of Big Cypress Creek five miles from Pittsburg in northern Camp County. A post office was established there in 1889 and closed in 1891. According to a publication of in 1892, the community had a gristmill, a gin, and a store, all operated by the postmaster, M. C. Davis, who was also a photographer. The community also had a Mason, a carpenter, a shoemaker, and an estimated population of seventy-five, but that estimate probably included the nearby black community of Harvard, or Harvard Switch. By 1910 Big Cypress had ceased to exist.
Artemesia L. B. Spencer, The Camp County Story (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "BIG CYPRESS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvbcc), accessed April 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.