BRANOM, TEXAS. Branom, in western Hopkins County, was named for Merrett Branom, who settled in the area before the county was established in 1846. A school opened there around 1900, and during the school year 1905–06 it had an enrollment of thirty-eight. In 1915 the Pecan and Greenwood schools united to form the Branom school district, and the Willow Oak and Faulk Grove schools were later added. In the late 1940s Branom was a dispersed rural community. The Ray's Chapel Methodist Church was located on the corner of the school campus, and the Mount Zion Presbyterian Church was a quarter mile west. In the 1980s Branom was no longer shown on the county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "BRANOM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb92), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.