BOWIEVILLE, TEXAS. Bowieville was a farming community on Farm Road 457 twelve miles southeast of Bay City in eastern Matagorda County. It was probably named for nearby Lake Bowie. In 1936 Bowieville had about ten dwellings but no businesses. By 1949 the community was within the Van Vleck Independent School District, and by 1978 Bowieville was no longer shown on the county highway map.
Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., Houston: Armstrong, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "BOWIEVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb85), accessed August 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.