BLOX, TEXAS. Blox was on a small rise four miles north of Jasper and seventy-seven miles north of Beaumont in north central Jasper County. The settlement was named for Charles or E. D. Bloxsom, officers with the Kirby Lumber Company, which had established a logging camp at the site by 1919. That same year a post office was opened there. To house the new workers the Kirby company moved in numerous vacant buildings from Kirbyville. At the height of the local logging activity Blox had a population of some 1,200, about a third of whom were black. Most Blox residents went to Jasper for entertainment. As the locally available hardwoods and pines were cut out, lumbering operations were gradually shifted to New Blox, a logging camp twenty miles to the northwest. The Blox election precinct, established in 1922, was abolished in 1926. In 1931 the community's post office was discontinued, and the old town was completely torn down and moved to New Blox.
Jasper County Scrapbook, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Kirby Lumber Corporation Papers, Steen Library, Stephen F. Austin State University.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "BLOX, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb70), accessed April 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.