BESSIE, TEXAS. Bessie, in southwestern Gaines County, was the site of the first school recognized by the state of Texas in Gaines County in the early 1900s. A post office operated there from 1905 to 1910, with James C. Dean as postmaster. The town, however, never developed, and the site was dropped from maps.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas, 1982).