BEHRENS, TEXAS. Behrens was a school community just east of State Highway 386 and four miles northeast of Mason in central Mason County. It was named for Henry Julius Behrens, one of the first German settlers to move there from Fredericksburg (see GERMANS). He arrived in January 1880, and he and his neighbors soon built a school on his land, with Miss Ellen C. Hill as the first teacher. No population has been listed for Behrens since 1904. The Behrens family cemetery is located at the site, and the rock Behrens house was still standing as late as 1976.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alice J. Rhoades, "BEHRENS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb29), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.