BEECH GROVE, TX
BEECH GROVE, TEXAS. Beech (Beach) Grove is south of U.S. Highway 190 and Science Hall, six miles southwest of Jasper in western Jasper County. A post office was established there in 1890. The local school had thirty pupils and one teacher in 1897; by 1905 the community had three schools for white children with 128 pupils and four teachers, and four schools for black children with 207 pupils and four teachers. Beech Grove had a general store and cotton gin in 1914. George W. Smyth lived in the community. A population of seventy-five remained in 1930. Three businesses operated in Beech Grove in 1932, and state highway maps in 1936 showed two cemeteries at the townsite. Beech Grove School was moved six miles northeast to a highway junction in 1937, and the post office moved in 1944 to a new location at Curtis, to the northwest. In the 1980s a town hall, two schools, and a campground remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "BEECH GROVE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb26), accessed October 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.